This month marks my second year as a member of the R2 Builders Club. Two years into this project and I've come this far. Can't wait to see what next year brings!!
Not too much of an update as I have been busy with family and work, but a little work here and there over the last few weeks gave me enough to add to the blog.
I finally got around to finishing off the construction of the first of two outer ankles. I've had this part sitting about 2/3's complete since August. This like the legs are based on Dave's styrene plans, with a very slight modification to add more bracing.
I ran into a small issue with the booster and ankles. I created the curved section for the ankle and didn't take into consideration that I needed to recess the booster into this part, as I had cut the ankle to allow for the booster to fit properly. You can see that the cut notch on the legs and the booster did not match up in the first two pictures unless the curved part was slid down the ankle by 1/4". After a little thinking, I recreated that curved section and pre-cut an access into the top face and the center brace (not shown). After letting it sit and dry, the booster fits perfectly, and the notches line up on the leg and booster parts. I'm still cutting the ankle bracelet piece and will pre-paint that part aluminum. I will have to smooth out the edges of the ankle and then skin them with a layer of .040 styrene to give them the same finished appearance as the legs.