Monday, February 22, 2010

Front vents

Just a quick update. After several attempts, breakages, etc... the front vents are now installed. I did not glue them permanently in place as they are such a tight fit that friction itself is enough to hold them in the vent surrounds. The vent surrounds are tight enough fit in the skins that they too are not able to slide in or out. For the moment, I'm going to leave things alone, until I find a good reason to secure them further.

Here's the pics.

Monday, February 15, 2010

General Update part 2

Ok, I am being harrassed by friends to update this thing, so here goes....

I received my front vent internals from the most recent A&A parts run.  These are laser cut plastic parts and I was really suprised to find them only 8 days after placing my order (I expected a 2 month lead time due to manufacturing time, and waiting until almost close of the part run, etc.).  I assembled the first of two vents.  This is the top and it's ready for paint.  The bottom vent....  well...  that's another story.  I need some reference for that part and I'm hoping to get an answer soon so I can get this part completed and installed.
I have some pics of the first of 4 ankle cylinders.  I decided to scratch build this part from pvc piping and scraps of styrene that I have collected.  The grooves were cut into the pvc by hand and although you can't really tell from the picture, they are just about a perfect V groove all the way around.  I finished the grooves with the corner of a flat file after cutting in with my X-acto razor saw. 

Although I don't have a pic of it, the second leg has it's base coat of primer on it.  I'll be ready to start top coating later this week and will hopefully have it close to finished over the weekend.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

General update

It's been a while since I posted any updates. I have some work in progress on the legs and ankles. Leg number 2 is nearing final stages of assembly and will be ready to paint within a few days. I have also started work on the ankle cylinders. I have the first one in progress and will need a total of 4. This is another scratch built piece, constructed from pvc water pipe and scrap pieces of styrene that I have saved up. I am continuing with my point to point wiring of the front logics and have 20 more leds to wire up and install.

I'm also in the planning stages of assembling my electronics and drive. It's been just over two years after starting this project (1 1/2 years since the actual build process began) and I am getting ready to get R2 on his feet and moving. My goal (time and finance permitting....) is to have him moving by late spring of this year.

Photo's of my progress will follow.