OK - the Christmas holiday is just around the corner, which means time with my buddy Artoo is going to be somewhat limited. I did find some time to work this past weekend and made some significant progress on the dome, although I ran into a common issue with the dome. The inner dome would not sit properly inside of the outer dome and thus created a 1/4" gap at the top. Sooooo.... I resorted to cutting the top off of the inner dome about 3/4 of an inch below the pie panels. This smaller section now sits flush with the top of the dome. I adhered this with the VHB tape that I picked up from Uline.com. All panels with the exception of the HP panel are also mounted with the VHB tape.
I also cut the center out of the dome base ring. This will allow me to access the electronics inside of the dome and seat the dome on the Rockler bearing. I'm not sure how the other C&D dome users are building their domes, but this is the route that I chose. The center has the R2Builders Logo on it, which I plan in turning into something creative. I picked up wood to create an inner ring for the dome to provide support as well as to give a platform to mount to the Rockler bearing, over the base ring. I plan on keeping the base ring as a separate component of the dome.