Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's been a while since I have had time to update this site.  I have done some work over the last month on some details, but nothing earthshaking just yet.

December marks my 3rd anniversary as a member of the R2Builders group. 

I ordered Chani's styrene skins and started working on the fronts.  It took me 3 months to layout and cut my first set of skins, and two weeks to get the front skins cut from Chani's part run.  I didn't even use a straight edge - the scored lines in the styrene were all I needed to keep the blade in line. 


The boosters are now glued to the legs.  I have been debating whether to replace these or not and decided to put off building the new legs for the moment.  I will eventually replace them (and the boosters as well, since I will need a second set anyway...), but for now, I feel that I have reinforced them well enough for them to hold strong. 

I have test fitted the horseshoes and plan on gluing those as well.  I don't have much of a choice as I don't wish to drill into the leg structure.  I'm finishing off the second horseshoe with Bondo before giving it a paint coat.  Artoo's next public appearance is in the end of January, and I am hoping to have him looking a little closer to finished by then.  Still have a ways to go and I estimate another year or two before I'll call him "done".  Below are some recent pics:



Here are a few pics from Artoo's first public event at the Buffalo Library. 



Photo by Dan Malcomb. The North Ridge/Fan Force


No comments: