Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fixing the front skins.

So, I tried something last night and I think this will work for now. I replaced the panel that I cut out for the front vents. This seems to have corrected the pot belly in the front skins. I will need to cut the holes for each of the vents, but I'll wait until I have the vent holders from Marco.
I also screwed in the top piece of the skins over the shoulders. I had some very small pan head screws laying around and drilled them right into the frame. I'll have to get some flat head screws in the same size and replace these, but for now, they do the trick.
Here is a better pic of the gap on the utility arm section. I may cut this out and splice a new cleaned up panel in it's place. The arms swing out, but only after widening the area considerably. I'm going to try cleaning it up a little, but I'm still "on the fence" with this. For now, I'm just going to let it sit and I'll come back to it after thinking about it for a while.
You will also notice a gap between the dome and the body. I'll have to tweak this, but I have room to play with.


Calvin Thomas said...

That made a big difference.
Glad it's working out and like you said "If your not 100% happy with it, You can make another set later".
I think they look fine.

jduffphoto said...

Thanks Calvin. I'm letting them sit for a while and see how I like it later down the road. I'm happy that the front has straightened out. I'm working up some details since I got some painting done. Inside back skin is on, but I need to straighten that out a little around the door... not that it's crooked, but styrene doesn't like to sit in a curved shape on it's own. I should have that resolved this weekend, and then be able to attach the outer back skins.

Have a great 4th of July!!!